Start & Grow a Business
Starting a business is exciting yet can also present challenges. One important reminder is to seek relevant legal and financial assistance to help you sort through the risks and challenges of new businesses. When you are ready to move forward, keep in mind these basic items of which you need to be aware.
- You will need to register with the state of Washington. Washington offers a helpful website providing a guide to assist you in finding the appropriate licenses and registrations that may be required:
- Depending on your business type, you may be able to work out of your house or you might be looking for a retail or industrial space for your new business. Before you sign a lease make sure that you contact the City to determine if any land use permits may be required to open shop at a particular location.
- The City of Centralia requires a business license for businesses operating in or located in the City of Centralia. Visit our Business Licensing page for more information.
There are many resources available to those investigating a new business. The Small Business Administration and Access Washington are two outstanding organizations/websites to help you find answers and information to help set you up for success. Helpful resources include:
- Thinking About Starting a Business?
- Business Counseling
- How to Write a Business Plan
- How to Market Your Business
- Explore Loans, Grants and Funding
Within Lewis County, the Lewis County Economic Development Council is home to the Small Business Development Center which provides counseling to small business and start-up companies. Business development specialists provide no-fee confidential, one-on-one counseling on all management topics. Counselors have certified broad-based skills and significant experience as business owners or managers. They help improve profitability and growth with assistance in buying, selling or starting a business, preparing a business plan, choosing and incorporating new technology, analyzing financials, and improving marketing.