The Centralia Police Department K-9 Unit was created by order of Chief Ken Payne in 1979. Since that time, a total of thirteen certified police K-9s have served the community as general service and narcotic police dogs.
Current Centralia Police K-9 Teams (2023):
- Officer Ruben Ramirez and K-9 Pax
- Officer Kyle Stockdale and K-9 Havik
Past Centralia Police K-9 Teams:
- Officer Bob Willey and K-9 Cody
- Officer Bob Willey and K-9 Joker
- Officer Bob Willey and K-9 Kody
- Officer Brad Reynolds and K-9 Joker
- Officer Don Tardiff and K-9 Gunner
- Officer Ruben Ramirez and K-9 Lobo
- Officer Ruben Ramirez and Narcotics K-9 Vida
- Officer Stephen Summers and K-9 Samson
- Officer Steve Dawes and Narcotics K-9 Duke
- Officer Tracy Murphy and K-9 Bak
- Sergeant Brian Warren and K-9 Kayo
A general service K-9 is trained in tracking human scent; searching buildings for intruders; searching open fields and areas for evidence; officer protection, vehicle protection and crowd control. In addition, a police dog trained in narcotics detection is capable of searching vehicles, houses and commercial businesses for drugs and drug paraphernalia.
Centralia K-9s have traditionally been German Shepherd dogs as they are strong, easily trained and very loyal. Each officer/dog team completes a three-month training program followed by certification tests conducted by the Washington State Police Canine Association. The dogs, owned by the City of Centralia, are housed with the K-9 handlers and their families. At the end of the animal's productive service life, each dog is retired, and ownership is transferred to the handler.
Our K-9 units are regularly called upon to assist other law enforcement agencies in our area. The police department takes great pride in providing the very best K-9 team available to the citizens of our area.
The police dogs are purchased exclusively through tax-deductible donations from the citizens throughout the area. Equipment, food and even ballistic vests for the dogs are donated by citizens and local businesses. Should you wish to schedule a K-9 demonstration for your group or business or if you wish to make a tax-deductible donation to the K-9 unit, please contact the Centralia Police Department at 330-7680.