Public Works Emergency Issues

Major Public Works issues need to be reported right away. Please use this as a guide to determine what to report and who to call.

Issues or questions regarding utility bills must be directed to the Centralia Customer Service Center. Staff at the Public Works Office and After Hours Call Center do not have access to customer billing accounts. The Customer Service Center can be reached by phone at 360-330-7657 or in person at:
500 N Pearl
Centralia, WA 98531

  1. Stormwater
  2. Streets
  3. Wastewater
  4. Water


  • Flooded intersections
  • Excessive water over roadway
  • Sinkholes
  • Spills of questionable material

Who to Call

During Business Hours:

  • Monday through Friday 8 am to 3:30 pm
  • Public Works Main Office Phone: 360-330-7512 

After Hours/Weekends/Holidays:

  • Monday through Friday 3:30 pm to 8 am
  • After Hours Call Center Phone: 360-330-2747